Down in the workshop: Afixing an EVA pad to the kona.99

I have been considering whether or not to do anything about the enormous slippery patch where the board was repaired, on one hand it would be cheaper and funnier to watch beginners slide off as they attempt an upwind tack, but my kinder side prevailed when i found out that Surfspot.se sells EVA foam sheets 80 x 60 cm for a reasonable price http://www.surfspot.se/eva-footpad-sheet-unifiber.html

20150622_183941 (Medium)

its self adhesive, but the guy in the shop was unsure if that was going to be good enough so he recommended a tube of Liquisole.

I matched up the sheet to the board and it was almost a perfect fit,

20150622_184100 (Medium)

I sanded off the spikes of resin the previous owner had left on it arfter repairing it, this also roughed up the surface in preperation for the glue application, I donned rubber gloves, squeezed out lines of liquisole glue along edges and evenly across the board nose to tail. The little tube runs out quickly i only got a few lines across the middle before it was finished. The glue is a very viscous stiff consistancy, it really takes some effort to spread it out, luckly i had some serrated spreaders laying around,that helped move the glue around after 10 mins of really working it i managed to get a pretty good covering, I managed to place the EVA foam down nice and squarely first time, then i used a roller to make sure there were no bubbles and it layed out evenly as i got to one of the edges it became evident that there wasnt enough glue so i took the empty tube and used a wooden block to squeeze up any residual glue, i got a few more ml out of the tube and it was just enough to apply to the baord rail. i added a furnature clamp and a board to hold it in place till it dried

20150622_202455 (Medium)

the finished look

20150623_160126 (Medium)

down in the workshop: boom repairs

Last time i was out with my smaller boom i noticed at the end of the session that it was considerably heavier than it should be, when i got it home i took it apart and perhaps two liters of water gushed out, that cant be helping my performance!  so I took it in to the workshop, dried it out and had a look at how to waterproof it, I decided to go with wetsuit glue, it dries with a rubbery consistancy, so I will take a chance that it will flex with the boom under load. I rouged up with sandpaper the bare aluminium boom ends that fit in to the headstock and noticed that it had been treated with a small amount of glue when manufactured, obviously not enough! I donned a pair of latex gloved to keep the chems off my skin and liberally coated the boom ends in the black gloopy glue, as i fitted then the excess flowed out and formed a liberal seal where the headstock and boom bar meet. i coated the sleaved bolts and their mounting holes with the rubber glue too, and put loctite on the screwthreads to prevent them wiggling loose, as the screws tightened the excess glue oozed out and coved the screwheads. For good measure I whipped out the screws that hold the clamp lever and put a good spot of loctite on those too. I left it to cure over night and fitted the front assembly to the boom extension and it feels rock solid!

20150622_183616 (Medium)

JP Super Lightwind 92

//

WP_20150521_18_02_14_Pro

Well what a bit of luck I’ve had! for the longest time I have been looking in to buying a board suited to light winds due to the fickle nature of the Stockholm weather and for a while I have been putting together a blog post about lightwind boards (still unfinished however I’m not sure how much more I can add than this average Joe windsurfer, he’s tested all the low wind boards http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.se/2013/03/jp-slw-vs-sb-us.html).

The problems with these boards are three fold, firstly they are insanely expensive to buy new, Continue reading